A question about a recipe: Spatchcocked and Braise-Roasted Chicken

620cea7d f427 4646 873d 8b051e9405a3  112910f 209

I have a question about step 3 on the recipe "Spatchcocked and Braise-Roasted Chicken" from amanda. It says:

"Set the pan back on the stove. Add the shallots and garlic, and cook over medium heat until the shallot has softened, about 2 minutes. Add the rosemary, sage and sherry. Increase the heat and boil off nearly all the sherry. Add 1 cup chicken broth and the lemon slices. Gently lower the chicken back into the pan, again skin-side up."

Do I return the backbone of the chicken back into the pan at this point? I would assume so after taking the trouble to brown it in the beginning but I am not sure.

asked by yingy almost 5 years ago

I've used this recipe many times. I generally save the backs (freeze them), and when I have three or four, I roast them at the same time I'm roasting something else -- in my case, that would usually be a loaf of bread -- to use for stock. With the rest of the bird roasting for this dish, you really don't need to cook the back. But that's just my (some would say not very) humble opinion. ;o)

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

No, the backbone is not meant to be added back. You can, of course put it in if you have a use for a roasted backbone. I usually use mine, either roasted or raw, in stock.

Sometimes, when it's just us and no guests, I don't remove the backbone when I spatchcock. I just cut the up along one side of the backbone and leave the other side attached to the bird.

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

It's up to you -- you can add it back if you want to pick the small bits of meat off the bone. Otherwise, like some others have suggested, use it for stock!

Thanks for all the responses. I wasn't sure if the spine was added back in to enhance the flavor of the braising liquid/pan sauce, but as Antonia noted the juices and bones from the roasting chicken should be sufficient. I do typically keep the spines in my freezer to roast together for stock (much to the chagrin of my roommates). Looking forward to trying this recipe soon!