🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Orange Buttermilk Sherbet

Orange_buttermilk_sherbet_2

I have a question about step 2 on the recipe "Orange Buttermilk Sherbet" from AntoniaJames. It says:

"Put the orange sections and the buttermilk in a blender. Puree for about a minute. Then add the grated orange zest but don't blend again."

What is the final volume of liquid before adding it to the ice cream maker?

asked by charlee over 3 years ago
New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

It should be a bit less than a pint. I didn't measure the orange supremes and juice when I made this last (though I should have really), but I seem to remember that the four oranges produced about 1 1/2 cups, perhaps less. Once it was blended, its volume was reduced. I have a tiny Donvier ice cream maker that only makes about a pint, and it was nearly full when I put the blended ingredients in it. Frankly, the actual amount shouldn't make a whole lot of difference to the final outcome, if you've used large, flavorful oranges, and added a good bit of zest. ;o) P.S. I re-read John McPhee's article from The New Yorker about oranges a few months ago, and have been meaning to try another version of this recipe using orange concentrate. Orange juice made from concentrate has the bold flavor that it does due to the large amount of zest in the concentrate.