🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

What is "sweet millet"? And how is it used?

I came across a package today at an Asian market. It's green--like an army green. The millet I typically cook with is golden in color.

asked by Bob Vivant over 3 years ago
Buddhacat

It could be that you have sweet millet that has not yet been hulled. Before hulling the millet is different colors, depending on the variety. Does the package say?

Glad you asked the question because now I am going to use it in some recipes.

Wholefoods_user_icon

This sweet millet is used in lot of forms of chapatis. I am not sure what do u make out of the sweet millet. But, it is healthy to use it. It used in most of Indian dishes like Methi Dhebra ( A flat bread made out flours like millet, whole wheat and with fenugreek leaves.

Even differently prepared Flatbread is popularly known as "Rotla" which is simply made from millet, salt and warm water. There are many more recipes for millet. Right now I am having the Flatbread called Methi Dhebra...
Bajra, or millet, is a hearty gluten free grain that is easily digestible and contains many beneficial nutrients. It is packed with protein, high amounts of fiber, B-complex vitamins including niacin, thiamine, and riboflavin.

It makes amazing bread and can be accompanies with onion veggie (subji). This is considered a peasant's meal.

Napa-08-effects

No--the package doesn't say much--it was from the bulk goods section. And the grains are very small and appear to be hulled. Wish I knew what made them sweet. WFMC--thank you for the millet ideas. Do you prepare them with "sweet millet"? We cook with a lot of millet, just not this "sweet" variety.

Wholefoods_user_icon

Honestly I dun know what is difference between sweet millet and the millet you have been using, because I have been using and eating this greyish colored millet flour since childhood...I searched it online and it shows few varieties namely Pearl Millet, Foxtail Millet, Proso Millet and Finger millet. The one you are referring seems to be Pearl millet...Yes , we do use it in some of our dishes...available at Indian Groceries..