🔎

Please: A substitute for tamarind paste.

Dsc_0122.nef-1
Panfusine added over 2 years ago

pomegranate molasses.. (you should get it at any middle eastern grocery store) or simply boil down a bottle of pomegranate juice (with no additives) till it thickens, 1 liter of juice yields about 1/3rd to 1/2 a cup (less if you really thicken it)

BusDriver added over 2 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

This may not be feasible if you're having trouble finding tamarind paste, but I've used tamarind concentrate before. As the name implies, it's concentrated, so I use 50% of the amount of tamarind paste the recipe requires and dilute it in equal parts water.

And, in an admission I'd only be willing to admit under my trusty pseudonym, I have used this trick before: 1 part lime juice: 1 part water: 25% dark brown sugar (example 1/4 lime juice, 1/4 cup water, 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar). This trick basically mimics the tangy/sweet flavor for the tamarind. If you're using it to make pad thai for your foreign exchange student from thailand, they will know you cheated. If you're making it for your brother-in-law from Iowa who thinks pad thai is one of the most awesome dishes at the Chinese restaurant, then you're good. It by no means hits the nail on the head, but it'll get you through in a pinch.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

You could also put a touch of molasses in, if you don't have brown sugar . . . . . with perhaps a date or two, soaked in the lime juice/water and then crushed with a fork, for sweetness. (I have a date and tamarind chutney that I bought at an Indian grocer of which I'm quite fond. The date adds a whole new dimension.) ;o)

Capitol_reef_zion_2009_032
veghead added over 2 years ago

mix some fresh lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, and a dash of ketchup (I don't have measurements - I do everything by taste)

Port2
nogaga added over 2 years ago

Tamarind paste has a strong fruity body, so in desperate times, if Panfusine's advice for pomegranate molasses is also an impossibility, I'd go for a very high quality lemon marmalade, or mango chutney, or any other sweet-tart fruity mix. They won't have the same depth as the tamarind, but they will do the trick.

Dsc_0122.nef-1
Panfusine added over 2 years ago

Totally agree with nogaga. Keelers lime marmalade comes to mind,

Dsc00449
alextillotson added almost 2 years ago

Quince paste would also work. Whole Foods carries it in the Specialty Department.

Smokin_tokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo added almost 2 years ago

Is quince paste just boiled quince, or more like a jelly Sweetened? Thank you.