🔕 🔔

there are a mess of field peas in my CSA box. They need to be shelled and then what!!! #recipeneeded

asked by @Mama_Says over 4 years ago

Smitten Kitchen's smoky peas?

Fry up some bacon then sautee some onions and carrots in the grease and throw in the field peas and some chicken stock and some sprigs of thyme and let simmer until the field peas are soft. Mix back in the bacon and serve over some rice or polenta with cheese mixed in.

And then you send them to me.

Saute some onion, garlic, and crushed red pepper to taste in olive oil. Stir in the peas and add enough chicken broth to cover. Add salt and pepper Simmer until the peas are almost done. Add small pods of okra (whole) and simmer another 10 minutes or until the okra is tender. Drain out the liquid (save it--it's good), put in a shallow bowl for serving, top with chopped homegrown tomatoes and a sprinkle of fresh herbs of choice.

This recipe is great warm or cold:

Follow the link and try her recipe. You can leave out the okra if you don't like it. http://www.grist.org/article...