🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

what's the best way to store ginger (the real stuff)? frige or counter??

asked by jendooley about 3 years ago
Me

Since where I live gets rather humid, I store ginger in the crisper of the refrigerator ...

Image

I store it in the freezer.

Freezer door, wrapped well in plastic. Since I always use it grated, the texture change doesn't matter.

2011-03-07_18-28-41_870

Freezer for me, too. I'll either use one of my MicroPlane grateres, or I'll thaw a small piece & cut as needed for the recipe.

Wholefoods_user_icon

I store it in the vegetable crisper like wssmom, it seems to last a long time.

Scan0004

I once followed a recommendation to keep ginger in sherry -- peel first, slice (or not), put in a jar with enough sherry to cover. That should keep it stable for a long time, but I didn't do it again!

Dsc_0122.nef-1

vegetable drawer, wrapped in newspaper & then in a plastic baggie..

I peel my ginger root, cut it into thumb-sized pieces, wrap it well and then put it in air-lock back and freeze it. Should keep for several months that way.

Family_feb2012_-_version_2

I peel it, slice it in 1/2 inch chunks, put it in a jar with dry sherry or brandy to cover and keep it in the fridge. As I use the ginger, I just add more. The sherry or brandy are great in stir fries or sauces. You can keep this going indefinitely. I have found that the ginger looses a little of its bite after about a month so if you do not use it that often, just start with a smaller jar. I really like the freezer/grater ideas. Will definitely try those, too.