🔔
🔎

Pumpkin confusion

What's the difference between canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie filling? And does it really matter if the two are interchanged?

asked by skittle over 3 years ago
Me

Pumpkin pie filling contains spices like allspice and nutmeg plus added sugar. Canned pumpkin is just canned pumpkin. You can sub canned pumpkin for pumpkin pie filling if you add spices, but it's not a good idea to do the reverse!

3-bizcard

Pumpkin pie filling is already spiced and I think it may be sweetened also, someone correct me if I am wrong, Pumpkin puree is just pumpkin no sweeteners or spices. You can use either or but the puree will have to be spiced and sweetened,

Debbykalk-photo

Just checked a can of pumpkin puree and it has one ingredient listed: pumpkin.
Perhaps you are getting ready to make those divine salted pumpkin caramels? They are on my list as soon as the weather cooperates.

Hp_scands_842919525854

Straight canned pumpkin - as opposed to pumpkin pie filling - is good for dogs when they have stomach troubles. Our vet has recommended this when we have called to ask what to do with our dogs who are having a "bad stomach" (aka, the runs). Sorry - unpleasant - but good to keep on hand (along with brown rice) if you are a dog owner. :)

Dsc_0122.nef-1

this was an answer to my un asked qn.. They served this awesome pumpkin soup at the Bobby Flay Book Signing event at Williams sonoma, & canned pumpkin was the chief ingredient! Thanks!

Headshot

I've also heard that the "pumpkin" used in both canned pumpkin and canned pumpkin pie filling is actually often butternut squash, FYI.