A question about a recipe: Pasta Al Forno with Pumpkin and Pancetta

5095379791_2b0be6fffb_z

I have a question about the recipe "Pasta Al Forno with Pumpkin and Pancetta" from merrill.

This is horrible because I'm sure the pancetta is essential but I'm a vegetarian and this just sounds right up my alley. Should I try it without the pancetta? Any subs anyone could recommend?

asked by enbe almost 3 years ago
Anita_date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Dried porcini mushrooms; soaked, but still a little chewy like bacon. Smoky chipotle peppers, rehydrated and chopped. Field roast chorizo sausage (wheat based). If the recipe calls for fat from the rendered meat, try coconut oil for depth of flavor.

Buddhacat

Great ideas, Anita!

Junechamp

I'm fairly sure this dish would taste delicious if you made it as is but without the pancetta. However, Anita's suggestion of soaking dried porcini mushrooms sounds like a reasonable sub.

Buddhacat

What about adding olives as a substitute? They have the saltiness and the 'meat' like texture. I wanted to make this recipe also for vegetarian friends and now will try it with the olives and mushrooms as Anita recommends.