🔎

• 4

• 2019

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

I always roast and it works beautifully. You can poke holes in the outside skin to let steam escape if you're worried about it being too wet. I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference, though. There is a lot of variation in the juiciness of pumpkins, so if it looks really wet once cooked, cut it up into small pieces (or roughly mash) and drain in a colander for a half hour or so. Also, if making a yeast bread, allow it to rest after you've combined the ingredients and started to knead, for at least 20 minutes, to allow the flour to absorb the liquid from the pumpkin. You'll have a better sense of whether you need to add more flour to achieve the right moisture level in the dough, if you do that. Good luck!! ;o)

Chris_in_oslo

I also roast. If it makes a moisture difference, it is to the better. Pumpkin has plenty of water.

How_to_make_a_custard_part_1

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

Voted the Best Answer!

It depends on the kind of pumpkin. If a varietal like Kabocha is around I steam because the flesh is quite smooth, tight and hard. A little extra moisture helps. If it's a Sugar Pie or Spaghetti Squash I would tend to roast because I want the extra moisture to evaopate, and those varietals with more inherent water could use a bit of the "flavor concentration" that comes with roasting.

2011-03-07_18-28-41_870
Helen's All Night Diner added over 2 years ago

I almost always roast. It draws out some of the liquid & deepens the flavor...