🔔
🔎

Alternate topping for green bean casserole?

I'm not a fan of the "french fried onions.".

asked by Jennifer,Moore almost 3 years ago

Corn chips perhaps?

Toasted almonds?

Image

Make something else? (Sorry, I just hate that casserole.)

Nog

Me too, drbabs! I say lightly steam then add olive oil, toasted almonds salt and pepper. Why muck it up with french fried whatever those things are and cream of mushroom soup? Ugh. And don't even get me started on Sam1148's obsession with that NASTY cranberry jelly stuff......(Sorry Sam I just can't get on the bandwagon).

I steam mine then add some homemade roasted garlic butter and top with frizzled leeks! Sooo good! Can't stomach the gloppy cream of mushroom soup...

Nog

OK, I can get on board with frizzled leeks - those sound yummy!

I'm thankful for the people who answered my question! I'm a bit bummed at the editorials about my food choices. If someone is asking a question about a certain dish chances are they like it. For this app to be useful, please put your opinions aside and either answer the question or don't.

Nog

Sorry Jennifer,Moore - everyone has different tastes and I think that no one intended any snarky comments about green bean casserole to be applied, by extension, to its cook! You're ok in my book....no hard feelilngs I hope. Feel free to mock me mercilessly for my love of spamburgers!

Image

Sorry...didn't mean to offend you.

More sliced and sauteed mushrooms, garlic thyme croutons, bacon crumbles, roasted chestnuts or like the leeks, frizzled shallots came to my mind. Whatever you choose let us know how it works out

How about a crispy breadcrumb topping? Here's one that works well for green beans and broccoli.

1 cup breadcrumbs (I pulse panko in the food processor for a few seconds)
couple tablespoons of olive oil
2 small garlic cloves, minced
lemon zest, from 1 lemon
salt and pepper

Heat the olive oil over low heat in a saute pan. Add the minced garlic -- cook for about 1 minute. Add the bread crumbs and lemon zest, and cook until the crumbs are crispy and fragrant, about 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Homemade Fried noodles and leeks would great.
Yes, some people really dislike the overly salty canned soup green bean casserole. But for sine guests that do like it they like it traditional 'childhood style'. Even if they don't eat it all, but a sacrimental taste.
T-day is a lot about food memories---which is why I think at least one cranberry sauce should be the jelled canned stuff with the ridges.

Dsc_0048b

Is it the canned onion rings that you don't like or the taste you don't like? Would you like it if you made your own crispy shallots? thirschfeld has a recipe for same embedded in his thai noodle recipe.

For anyone interested, I did come across a recipe a few years back for a green bean casserole in Cooks Ilustrated that mimics the flavor of the classic with the cream of mushroom soup, but you make your own sauce with mushrooms and cream. It was delicious, probably no healthier, but I was pleased to recreate a childhood favorite. You seem to have to be a member to view it, but if you google it several people have posted it.

Have a great Thanksgiving dinner, all!

Another alternative is blanched green beans whole. Simmer some olive oil with fresh rosemary and garlic on very low (don't burn the garlic!). Pack the oil in a jar and put the green beans in the 'fridge the night before for make-ahead.
To serve, heat up the olive oil (spices removed) and cook some matchstick cut prosciutto ham...and toss the cooked (blanched green beans) in the oil. That can hold several hours before finishing with bread crumbs and good Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. It can be served at room temp or slightly warm.

Carmelized onions. Yes, on top! You can arrange them in a strip or something and it's pretty nice. Way more flavor than the fried ones and it'll bring a deeper something to cut all the creamy casserole.