Should I use a package of stuffing or day old bread? What us best stuffing recipe for Thanksgiving??

asked by pattipritz almost 3 years ago
Lorigoldsby

OLD Bread!!! Go ahead and tear it up a couple of days before to completely dry out or put it in a 250 degree oven for an hour, turning occasionally to dry all sides.

Headshot
broccolirose

Natalie is a recipe tester for Food52.

Totally agree- old bread is better than something out of a package, and you can probably avoid a lot of additives and preservatives as well.

3-bizcard

Definitely old bread, its much better. I make my dressing with both cornbread and bread. Will make the cornbread tomorrow, cube the bread and start the drying process several days before T-day.

I have had great success with challah bread. But if you want to go a healthier route, I made a stuffing last year using a great seeded multi grain loaf, which gave the stuffing a great nutty quality. My loaf was not old, so I cubed the bread and dried it in a 250 degree oven.

Image

We use old bread also (rolls, actually). Stuffing packages often have a lot of additives that you don't necessarily want. You can season bread to your liking.