If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Trying to find a perfect technique to cook brown rice, I tried the Saveur stove top method calling for 1 cup of rice and 12 cups of water. Wanting to add some color, texture and flavor contrast, I decided to add black quinoa, as well as experiment with a baked method. This is my result. - Sagegreen —Sagegreen
Food52 Review: Oven baked rice? Who knew? Thanks to Sagegreen’s lionhearted rice experiment, anyone who has had trouble with rice before can now relax and let the oven do the work. Her technique worked flawlessly and the rice came out, well… perfect. Fluffy, yet still some tooth to it. Couple that with the subtle flavor and light texture of the quinoa and you have made a perfect match. Add the Meyer lemon, olive oil and salt flakes and voilá - their snappy sidekicks. - TiggyBee —TiggyBee
- 1/4 cup black or red quinoa
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 5 cups boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (Meyer preferred) or hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon Maldon salt flakes or other artisan salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Soak the quinoa in water for 5 minutes, then drain. Rinse the brown rice under tap water in a fine mesh colander for a few minutes. Boil 5 cups of water.
- In a casserole dish (which has a cover) add the quinoa, rice and sea salt. Mix evenly. Pour the boiling rice to cover completely the grains. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes. Then remove from the oven and drain most all the liquid off. Keep the oven on.
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice (or hot water), and Maldon sea flakes. Cover and return to the oven to bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit covered for another 15 minutes. Fluff and serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Tequila's Not a One-Hit Wonder
Master the margarita—then go crazy
Why you should be drinking tequila.
Our latest #f52contest.
It's time to travel.
This week's #happylist.
Off to market.