Author Notes: It took me a long time to perfect this recipe to make it delicious. I love the flavor offered by the mushrooms to the risotto. It really is very simple, yet as we know, risotto requires constant attention. - michellef
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 10 ounces Shitake mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup beer, any brand will do
- 3 cups chicken broth, homemade preferred.
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare mushrooms. Remove stems and gently wipe clean with a damp paper towel. Then rough chop.
- Measure 1 cup Arborio rice.
- Have ready 1 cup of beer, and heat 3 cups of chicken stock. Set aside.
- In a medium pot, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add mushrooms and saute till the mushrooms begin to soften, and you begin to smell the delicious aroma, about 3 minutes.
- Add the 1 cup of rice, mixhing together with mushrooms, allowing the rice to slightly toast, but not brown...about 3 minutes.
- Now you will slowly begin to add the beer, while constantly stirring, until it is absorbed into the rice.
- Add 1 cup of hot chicken broth slowly, continue stirring once again until all is absorbed. Continue to slowly add all broth until you have added all 3 cups.
- You know it's done when you have a nice creamy consistency. You can count on standing over the stove for about 20 minutes, but it will be worth it!
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve as a side dish to anything, or as a main dish with an arugala salad and crusty bread.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms