Author Notes: This past January, I was looking to make some simple season appropriate salad for my daughter's 6th birthday party. This salad was perfect - I was able to use all my greens from my CSA box that week (spinach, dandelion and baby arugula - though I prefer it just with spinach) and it was good hot and 2 hours later at room temperature. It disappeared pretty quickly, too, which I think is always a good sign!
Since the party, I have made it several times. It's great as a light dinner or lunch with some toast or as a side salad with something heartier. Enjoy! - CSAchick
Serves 4 as a side salad
- 1 bunch baby spinach
- 2-3 tablespoons white or black truffle butter
- 1 1/2 cup sliced crimini mushrooms (though I am sure any will work)
- kosher or flaky sea salt (I use maldon)
- 1/2 - 1 cup crumbled blue cheese (I like Roquefort or Gorgonzola, but Maytag is great too)
- 1 -2 tablespoon balsamic creme (or you can use a balsamic or sherry vinaigrette)
- Put clean spinach in your serving bowl.
- Melt half the truffle butter in a sautee pan. Add half the mushrooms and a sprinkle of salt. Sautee the mushrooms until they are starting to brown around the edges. If they give off too much liquid, drain some off. When they are done, put on top of spinach with pan juices so that spinach slightly wilts. Repeat with the remainder of the mushrooms.
- Crumble blue cheese on top/around the mushrooms.
- Top with a drizzle of balsamic creme or your favorite vinaigrette. I love the blasamic creme because it's slightly sweet and a little goes a long way! Serve hot or at room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms