If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: To a classic recipe, I have added brandy and sherry to spike up the flavor. The sauce is delicious, and I utilize another recipe- Flaming Onions - to create this dish. The mushrooms have a nicely warmed taste after cooking in sherry. It is delicious with rice, or nice noodles, or even couscous. - Bevi
Flaming Onions - http://www.food52.com/recipes/10603_flaming_onions
- Follow the recipe for Flaming Onions, but use only one large sweet onion, and use brandy. Do not adjust any other ingredient amounts.
- Prepare this recipe, and set aside.
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- pinches salt
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- 8 oz. mushrooms - either white button or cremini, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons sherry
- 3/4 to 1 pounds NY Strip steak, cut across the grain into 1/4" thick slices
- 1/2 pint sour cream
- 1/2 pint 0% Fage yogurt
- In a tiny bowl, mix the mustard, the sugar, and a little pinch of salt with 1 teaspoon of hot water to form a paste. Set aside.
- Heat the butter in a medium saute pan. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook over medium to low heat. Add a little salt and pepper, and continue to saute until just a little liquid is left.
- Add the sherry, and allow the mushrooms to cook on low heat for a few minutes.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, slice the steak. In a heated frying pan, over medium high heat, sear half the meat slices. As soon as the slices are all in the pan, immediately turn the slices over in the order that you placed them in the frying pan. Then, just as quickly, take the meat slices out in the same order you started. Then, sear the second half of the slices the same way. Cover the meat slices and set aside briefly.
- Add the mushrooms to the Flaming Onion recipe. Mix together.
- Add the mustard paste. Then add the sour cream and yogurt by the tablespoonful. Mix together and adjust seasoning if necessary. Allow the stroganoff to simmer for a few minutes to allow the sauce to develop flavor. Add the meat slices and the accumulated juices and cook just enough to heat them. Serve over rice, noodles, couscous, or with matchstick potatoes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms