If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is similar to something my Mom used to make. Great easy appetizer to have on hand. Also good on buttery egg noodles. This keeps well in the fridge for a few weeks. Yum! —oliveannie
Makes large jar
- 2 pounds crimini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 onion
- 24 ounces canned whole tomatoes
- 1/4 bunch Italian parsley, destemmed
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 12 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- Slice onion into thin strips and place in a saute pan over medium heat with a couple tablespoons of the oil. Saute until translucent. Add whole garlic cloves and red wine and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another pan, heat another couple tablespoons of oil over medium high and add in whole mushrooms. Saute in batches until browning and beginning to release their juices.
- Slice or break up canned tomatoes and add to wine and onion mixture, along with their juices. Add herbs and spices, and browned mushrooms and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes. Add vinegar and salt and any remaining olive oil, taste to adjust seasoning and set aside to cool. Store in a jar in the fridge and enjoy! Best after marinated for a day.
The New Food52 Office
A space that makes you want to come to work
The new Food52 office.
A toast to toast.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.
Yes, be in a pickle.