Author Notes: This is similar to something my Mom used to make. Great easy appetizer to have on hand. Also good on buttery egg noodles. This keeps well in the fridge for a few weeks. Yum! - oliveannie
Makes large jar
- 2 pounds crimini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 onion
- 24 ounces canned whole tomatoes
- 1/4 bunch Italian parsley, destemmed
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 12 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- Slice onion into thin strips and place in a saute pan over medium heat with a couple tablespoons of the oil. Saute until translucent. Add whole garlic cloves and red wine and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another pan, heat another couple tablespoons of oil over medium high and add in whole mushrooms. Saute in batches until browning and beginning to release their juices.
- Slice or break up canned tomatoes and add to wine and onion mixture, along with their juices. Add herbs and spices, and browned mushrooms and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes. Add vinegar and salt and any remaining olive oil, taste to adjust seasoning and set aside to cool. Store in a jar in the fridge and enjoy! Best after marinated for a day.