If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love making soups all year round(ok not in the middle of summer), they are cheap to make, and the varieties are endless. So, I'm sure there are similar recipes out there, but I think this soup is absolutely amazing...Enjoy! - DailyMeals
- 1 cup Barley
- 4 cups Stock(chicken or veg)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 5 button mushrooms
- 5 dried shitakes, rehydrated
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 3 chicken thighs, roasted & diced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 handful baby spinach
- olive oil, salt, and pepper
- Cook chicken in a hot pan(you can use the same pot you will use for the soup), let cool, chop and set aside.Chop your leek, carrot, celery, and zucchini. Set aside
- Thinly slice mushrooms. Heat a large dutch oven or other heavy bottomed pan. Add olive oil and then mushrooms to brown.
- While mushrooms are cooking, add some hot water to the dried shitakes and rehydrate(approx 10 minutes). Remove stems and thinly slice.
- When mushrooms are browned, add all the veggies, the water that the shitakes hydrated in, the stock, and the chicken. Taste for seasoning.
- Add barley and additional liquid as needed( I used 1 1/2 cups of water). Right before serving, and a handful of spinach and let it wilt down. Enjoy with some crusty bread.
These Snacks Are Loaded
Happy hour just got homemade.
Happy hour's better homemade.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Shore-fire recipes for the beach.
Barbecue: case closed.