If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: If you are going to have a range of eaters, you could always pack up all the ingredients separately for this salad. Even though this would hold up well after it is dressed, I like to dress the salad just before eating. And that way if somebody in your party has just gone vegetarian on you, since yesterday, for example, you still have options. You could eliminate the beef and add more beans, as well as feta, unless, of course, this also needs to be nondairy and kosher. I will give my favorite version, which, trust me, you can adapt as needed. But my cat and I really like it this way. - Sagegreen
Serves @ 4
- 8-10 ounces grilled grassfed beef filet or ribeye
- 2 roasted red peppers, sliced into strips
- 4 red pepperdew, sliced into strips
- 1/2 English cucumber, sliced into rough julienned matchsticks
- 1 cup red cabbage, sliced thin
- 1 sweet white onion, sliced thin
- 1 cup cooked cannellini beans
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh herbs (including thai basil, spearmint, cilantro, and Italian parsley)
- 1 head of whole roasted garlic
- juice from 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey, acacia or milkweed preferred
- 2 one inch pieces of uber ripe soft pale melon, optionally soaked in white wine
- coarse salt
- fresh milled black pepper
- (optional crumpled feta cheese)
- If you haven't cooked the beef, season it first with salt and pepper. Pound it with a rolling pin. Grill it on a well oiled, clean grill for 3-4 minutes per side. Let it rest and cool. I happened to have one filet left from the previous day. Thinly slice this into nickel thick strips.
- Toss your beef, vegetables, and herbs together. If your beans are canned, rinse them well in cool water and toss with some lemon or lime juice first. I also tried out some lupini beans, but I think fava beans would be a better alternative. Lightly salt and pepper all the ingredients. Pack these up in an air tight container which you can keep cool until serving.
- To make the dressing, squish out the garlic candy from all the cloves of the head. I had grilled a head the day before, but not used any. Add this (or at least half) to a blender with the lime juice, oil, agave, and soft melon (hami used here) with a pinch of salt and pepper. Process. Taste test and adjust as needed. Pack in an covered jar. The melon proved to be a wonderful surprise in this dressing. I had used the melon that had marinated in white wine from the day before.
- Just before serving toss the salad with the dressing. Add optional feta if you like. This can be eaten with chopsticks. I love the new palm leaf plates for salads.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
Tags: travels well
12 Make-Ahead Egg Dishes for Easter Brunch
Hop to it!
Winner of Your Best Recipe with Honey
A sweet Q&A with Alexandra Higgins.
Style with a breeze.
Watch Amanda and Merrill Make Macaroni and Cheese Without a Recipe
Gouda riddance to powdered cheese.
Wooden Bird's House
For your feathered friends.