If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: After I harvested the first cucumber this season I remembered the very first thing I ever made. I really don't know why this memory popped into my mind. This isn't my first garden or my first cucumber, but there it was as fresh as the cucumber I held in my hands. I was about 6 or 7 when I came up with this recipe. I remember my mom was sick. I don't remember how sick, just that she was, and I wanted to do something for her. While she was resting in bed I went into the kitchen and rooted around the refrigerator. This is what I came up with. I remember that my mom adored this tea sandwich. I made it for her over and over again. It's simple, and I still enjoy it now as an adult. It's perfect for a hot summer day. The cool cucumber and the spicy ginger blend perfectly together for a light summer lunch or tea.
Makes one sandwich, but can easily be multiplied
- 2 Slices of good quality sandwich bread
- 1/4 of a cucumber; sliced thin
- Pickled ginger (This is the stuff you get when you have sushi. My mom loves it, and always had a jar on hand when I was a little girl. You can find it in the international isle in your grocery store)
- Lightly toast the sandwich bread.
- Spread a light layer of the mayonnaise on each side of the toast.
- Layer the cucumber and then the pickled ginger. You just want a thin layer of the pickled ginger. Serve and enjoy.
Your search for the best recipe is over
The best donuts—ever.
Learning to love fruit with chocolate.
We've got the summer blues.
How to throw a Genius dinner party for 30.
A better basket.