Author Notes: The eggplant dip is on the left side of the photo. You can see that the photographer couldn't wait until after the photo shoot to dip her finger in for a taste.
I don't enjoy the flavor of tahini in savories but I like sesame seeds. Flavor is best if eggplant and garlic are roasted over a charcoal grill or wood fire. All types of eggplants work. I like the long skinny varieties.
- Roasted eggplants
- Roasted garlic bulb
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Roast eggplant and garlic over charcoal grill or wood fire. Let cool.
- Toast sesame seeds until just brown.
- Peel eggplant and garlic and place in bowl of food processer. In practice, the garlic often isn't peelable, and just needs to be squeezed out from the bulb. Cut off one end of the bulb, and squeeze out the roasted garlic like toothpaste.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to food processor bowl and process. Very approximate: 1 tablespoon each of olive oil and lemon juice per cup of eggplant.
- Adjust lemon juice, salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve with Sangak bread if you can. Crackers, chips, toasted pita all work well too.