If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The inspiration for this comes from a dish I had at Cava, a Greek meze restaurant near Eastern Market in Southeast DC. There the tomatoes are an accompaniment to the shrimp, but the whole thing is bright with the ouzo and refreshing with the dill. I recreate it often, using combination in many forms – pureed as a sauce for pasta or chicken, or with halved cherry tomatoes as a side dish, as it is here. Opa! - checker - checker
Food52 Review: This simple tomato sauce would work well as a warm dip for pita, part of a mezze spread, or as a great match for sliced cucumbers and onion, like a twist on a Greek salad. It's light and refreshing from the chopped dill and bright, sweet tomatoes, and just perfumed with ouzo. - Annie "Smalls" - Annie "Smalls"
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 small shallots, sliced and rings separated
- 1 handful fresh dill, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons ouzo
- 2 tablespoons cream
- salt and pepper
- chopped fresh dill for garnish
- Heat some olive oil in a large skilled over low heat. Add the halved cherry tomatoes with a pinch of salt and let soften, stirring often.
- Once the tomatoes are beginning to feel soft add the shallot slices and continue cooking and stirring until everything is soft, but not mushy.
- Turn the heat up slightly and add the ouzo, allowing the alcohol to cook off.
- Add the fresh dill and some cracked pepper and stir everything to coat.
- You may need less (or more, I suppose) of the cream, depending on how much liquid you have in the pan, so add it slowly, off the heat, stirring to blend.
- Garnish with some fresh chopped dill and serve immediately.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cherry Tomatoes
Your Favorite Items for a Wedding Registry
Wedding season approaches.
Wedding registry must haves.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Wildcard Winner Recap
Do you haiku?