If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sometimes the simplest pleasure is the greatest luxury. A perfectly ripe, heavily perfumed melon with syrupy sweet nectar is something to appreciate. The Charentais melon is a cantaloupe from France with a reputation as the crème de la crème of melons.Such a lovely piece of fruit deserves a starring role at the breakfast table.
Slice the Charentais melon in half and you’ll find brilliant orange flesh dripping with juice. Here I’ve scooped out the seeds and filled the melon with a Middle Eastern inspired quinoa mixture. Top with a dollop of tangy Greek yogurt, a sprinkling of crushed pistachio and mint, and finish with a drizzle of honey.
This breakfast serves two, with about two cups quinoa left over. You can use the leftover quinoa for breakfasts throughout the week or serve it as a side dish with grilled/roasted meat. Though I’ve photographed the melon on a plate, it’s probably easier to eat served in a bowl (lots of juices).
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 6 green cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon orange flower water
- 1 Charentais melon, halved, seeds scooped out
- 1 seven ounce container of Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup roasted pistachios, shelled and crushed
- 1 handful mint leaves
- In a small pot, bring the water to a boil. Add cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, and quinoa. Simmer and cover for 10-20 minutes until tender. Once it’s finished cooking, fluff the quinoa with a fork and toss in the butter and a pinch of salt. Stir in orange flower water.
- Stuff the melons: Fill the hollowed out melon halves with quinoa. Top the quinoa with a good dollop of Greek yogurt. Sprinkle with pistachios and mint leaves. Drizzle with honey and enjoy!
What a Sweet Tart
Tomatoes, prosciutto, and gremolata? Absolutely
What a sweet tart.
Hot dogs made better.
Your poolside essentials.
Chill out with these recipes.