If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My recipe for this cheesy stuffing has a multitude of variations-try farmer cheese instead of ricotta, or shaved Parmesan instead of grated. This one is sure to please-the rich sweetness of the multi grain bread is a nice contrast to the savory eggplant and mushrooms. The crispy top is a great combination with the soft middle. As an alternative, bake this stuffing in individual ramekins for a personal dish for each guest-top each one with a different garnish (i.e.: walnuts for the nut lover, parsley for the herb enthusiast, dried apricots for the fruit connoisseur). —Mariya
- 1.5 cups multi grain bread-cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 3/4 cup mushrooms-quartered
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup onion-small dice
- 3 ounces olive oil
- 1/2 cup eggplant-cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup carrots-cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic-minced
- 1 egg-whisked
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- butter/cooking spray for coating baking dish
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Place bread cubes on baking tray and toast on 400F until just browned; reserve.
- On high heat, brown mushrooms in olive oil; add cayenne pepper, season, and reserve.
- Sweat onion on medium heat in olive oil; add eggplant, and carrots until soft, finish with garlic, season, and reserve.
- In a bowl, combine bread cubes, mushrooms, eggplant/carrot mixture, egg, ricotta cheese, and half of the Parmesan cheese-mix well.
- Butter/spray a baking dish and transfer stuffing mixture.
- Pour chicken stock on top of stuffing; top off with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 400F until top is golden brown (~17-22 min); see serving suggestions above.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Thanksgiving Stuffing
The Best Vegan Cookbook Tips
Better "bacon," tofu's texture, and more
The best vegan cookbook tips.
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
It's time to travel.
Why you should be drinking tequila.
Put cake on a pedestal.