Author Notes: I made a fresh jar of fig pear balsamic jam the week of Thanksgiving. I was looking to make some sort of an appetizer for my family's Thanksgiving party and being that we are Italian, we love our meat. So, I thought salty proscuitto would pair perfectly with the tangy goat cheese, peppery arugula, and sweet fig jam. It was absolutely delicious. - misschels
Makes 24 rolls
Fig Pear and Balsamic Jam
- 1.5 pounds figs, stems removed and coarsely chopped
- .5 pounds pears, peeled and pit removed and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- .5 cups balsamic vinegar
- .25 cups fresh lemon juice
Proscuitto, Goat Cheese, and Fig, Pear, Balsamic Jam Rolls
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- pinches of freshly ground black pepper
- 12 pieces proscuitto, cut in half crosswise
- .5 cups goat cheese (chevre)
- .25 cups fig, pear, balsamic jam
- For the jam, combine the figs, pears, brown sugar, and balsamic in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over medium to high heat. Then lower the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook.
- Break up the large pieces and stir periodically until the jam thickens.
- Remove from the heat and squeeze about a tablespoon of lemon juice, stir. Taste and add more lemon juice if desired.
- Spoon the jam into a container with a lid.
- Using sterilized jars, spoon into jars, seal jarm and process in boiling water for 10 minutes. Let cool and lids should seal.
- For the prosciutto rolls, place arugula in a medium bow. In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice, evoo, salt, and pepper. Toss the arugula in the dressing until lightly dressed (you may not need all of the dressing).
- Spread one tablespoon of goat cheese across one of each piece of prosciutto. Top each with 1/2 tsp. fig, pear, and balsamic jam. Divide the dressed arugula evenly across each of the pieces of prosciutto. Starting from the end covered with the filling, carefully roll each piece of prosciutto. Serve
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Charcuterie / The Charcutepalooza Grand Prize Challenge