If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This bright and tasty side dish marries the milder, sweeter variety of kale – lacinato – with some wonderful wintry flavors. Feel free to use another variety if you can't find lacinato kale. To make it vegetarian, use vegetable stock. - Kitchenette
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans or white kidney beans
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 3 to 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 bunches lacinato kale, stems removed, sliced into about 1 inch strips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- In a large pan over medium heat, melt the butter and cook until it begins to take on a tan color and smell nutty. Add the beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften and break up a bit, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for another minute.
- Add about 3 cups of the stock, stir to combine. Then add the kale, salt, and pepper to taste. Stir well. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, until the kale is tender and the liquid has thickened. You may need to add more stock as it cooks.
- When the kale is ready, turn off the heat and check for seasonings (keep in mind that you'll be adding salty parmesan cheese). Add the lemon zest and cheese. To serve, top with extra parmesan cheese.
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.