If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Loving citrus as I do, I prefer it not as a whisper, but as a robust brightness. In looking for a way to achieve that without the use of lemon oil, I developed this technique of pureeing sugar with lemon zest until wet. In addition, I prefer cookies that are moist and have some texture. This recipe, inspired by the work of Betty Fussell and Carol Field, makes cookies that are grainy with cornmeal and ground almonds,very lemony and unusually moist for a cornmeal shortbread type cookie. - LE BEC FIN
Food52 Review: These coarse cookies are crumbly and moist at the same time. The bright lemony flavor is complemented by the almond extract, a favorite around these parts. Grinding the lemon zest with the sugar really enhances the citrus flavor. These are easy to throw together and take no time to cook -- our diamonds were finished cooking in 20 minutes. We liked these so much we finished them off right after they cooled. - The Editors
Makes 1 9 inch square pan
- 1 cup unskinned raw almonds, ground fine and divided in half
- 1/4 cup grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup finely ground fresh yellow cornmeal *
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, cut into 16 pieces and frozen
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons white sugar for topping
- 1/2 cup reserved ground almonds for topping
- 4 ounces raw pine nuts
- Butter or Pam 1 9" square metal pan.
- In small processor, grind 1/2 cup sugar with lemon zest, scraping down the sides a few times, until pureed and wet but not soupy( This method really extracts a lot of lemon flavor.)
- Into a standard food processor, combine the ½ cup of almonds, flour, cornmeal and salt. Pulse twice to combine. Add butter. Pulse until butter is pea sized, as if making piecrust.
- Combine eggs through almond extract, add to processor along with sugar lemon zest mixture, and pulse til barely mixed. Press into pan, smoothing top with graduated cake spatula.
- Score mixture lightly into 2 inch tall diamonds, and put a pine nut in the center of each diamond, pressing down to adhere. For topping, combine 1/2 cup ground almonds with 2 Tablespoons of sugar, and mix well. Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the pan. Press down to adhere.
- Bake 350 degrees F, 20-25 minutes until lightly browned and toothpick comes out clean. Cool , chill til firm, and cut into diamonds. (If you try cutting before it chills, mixture will crumble.)
- * Fresh bulk yellow cornmeal or packaged organic cornmeal is far preferable in flavor to prepackaged supermarket cornmeal.
Follow Food52 on social media!
Connect with us.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Soffritto's a superstar.
This is poppin'.