If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love calamari, but have really only enjoyed it fried with a side of romesco. Even then its still a bit chewy sometimes. My dish is kindof a spin-off from a Greek shrimp, tomato & feta recipe we love from Williams-Sonoma. I decided to experiment and give squid a try to see if braising would make this chewy squirmy thing tender, and it worked! With a few variations and new ingredients I somehow created a new dish that is rustic, hearty, and delicious!
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Large Shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
- 1-2 teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes ( This puts a little kick in the dish)
- 1/2 cup Dry White Wine
- 2 Cans of Fire Roasted Tomatoes, Juice Reserved (Can also roast your own tomatoes, I love the smokey flavor it adds)
- 1 tablespoon Oregano
- 1 1/2 pounds Calamari, (Tubes and Tentacles) Tubes Cleaned and sliced into 1/2" rings
- 2 cups Chopped Fresh Spinach
- 1 1/2 ounces Chèvre Goat Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Serve with Toasted Bread for dipping.
- Heat oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add Shallots and saute until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add Garlic and red pepper flakes and continue to cook until fragrant.
- Deglaze with pan with white wine and add tomatoes. Season with oregano. Bring to a soft boil.
- Add calamari and turn heat down to low. Cover and cook for approximately 20-25 minutes. The calamari should not be chewy but tender. Cook longer if needed.
- Stir in the spinach and goat cheese. Allow to cook with the lid off for about 5 more minutes or until the greens are tender and the cheese has melted. Add reserved tomato juice if you desire a thinner sauce.
- Season with Salt and Pepper and serve with toasted bread or on top of cooked pasta.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast
Around the World in 16 Breakfasts
The most important meal of the day, the international way.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Wildcard Winner: Texas Tailgate Burger
Prep your pans for perfection.
Stop the soap opera.