If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I got the idea for this pate from David Lebovitz who made a sardine pate using fresh sardines, Korean red pepper flakes and Japanese togarashi. Though fresh sardines are not hard to find in my home area, fresh cleaned and filleted sardines are. So I decided to make it using canned sardines and seasoning it with Aleppo (but you can use any dried fragrant chili that you have on hand). Serve with toast, sliced baguettes, or crackers for an elegant appetizer. Add a simple green salad and a glass of dry white wine, and it becomes a light lunch. I've even spread this on a baguette with pickled carrots and daikon for a banh mi style sandwich. - HalfPint
Food52 Review: This is an easy pantry hors d'oeuvre. It takes no time at all to whip up and has a satisfying, smooth and creamy texture. It doesn't taste fishy -- we noticed a pleasant meaty flavor. - Rebecca Vitale
Makes ~1 cup
- 2 cans sardines in olive oil, ~4 oz each
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Aleppo pepper or any mildly spicy, fragrant chili
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- Put all ingredient, even sardine oil, in a food processor. Blend until you get a somewhat smooth paste. Taste and add salt and black pepper, and more lemon juice, if needed.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate. If refrigerated, let it come to room temperature before serving.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hors d'Oeuvre
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Canned Fish Recipe
Have a Brew-ti-ful Day
Shop our newest caffeinated collection.
Everything you need for coffee and tea.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
The final step to a genius dinner party.
A list of things we like.
Add flower power to your espresso.