If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I LOVE clams - raw on the half shell, in chowder, in pasta..any which way! I keep cans and cans in the pantry in case I need my fix and I know I'll be satisfied this week! Fresh asparagus has started coming here to Michigan at very reasonable prices and so I pulled out the rice and a couple of those cans and made a risotto. And I'm fully aware that the cheese doesn't pass muster with an Italian seafood risotto but a little sure tastes good! - inpatskitchen
Makes 2 mains or 4 sides
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups warm clam broth or juice
- 2 6.5 ounce cans of chopped clams (throw the juice in with the clam broth)
- 1 cup asparagus tips and some stalk, cut in 1/2 inch pieces ( try to find very thin asparagus)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan (optional for the purists)
- In a medium sauce pan gently saute the shallots and garlic in 1 tablespoon of the butter and the olive oil until the shallot softens. Add the rice and stir until the grains are well coated.
- Add the wine and over medium heat stir with a wooden spoon until the rice absorbs most of the wine.
- Start adding the clam broth, about a half cup at a time, stirring almost constantly. Add a half cup more after the broth is absorbed into the rice and continue doing this until the broth is used up and the rice is cooked. This will probably take 20 to 25 minutes.
- Stir in the asparagus and drained clams and stir a minute or two more. Stir in the second tablespoon of butter and the parmesan and serve immediately.
- Note: You probably won't need to add salt to season depending on the strength of your clam broth, but a few grinds of black pepper over each serving is very nice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Pot Meal
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Canned Fish Recipe
Have a Brew-ti-ful Day
Shop our newest caffeinated collection.
Everything you need for coffee and tea.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
A list of things we like.
Home & design links we love.
Add flower power to your espresso.