Author Notes: I can eat these any time and they make perfect travel food- no utensils needed. Chewy rice with the tang of rice wine vinegar and a touch of sugar, smoky slivered shiitakes,minced crunchy vegetables and nutty sesame seeds. This is also a great dish to make with little kids. Their small hands are ideally suited for stuffing the small pockets, and they are perfect lunch box treats- to show their schoolmates.
- LE BEC FIN
- 1 can or package (16)Aburage (tofu skin pockets),rinsed thoroughly and squeezed
- 3 cups Cooked sushi rice or short grain brown or white rice, tossed with rice wine vinegar and sugar ( like sushi rice)and cooled
- 1/2 cup dried shiitakes, poached til tender, sliced thin and minced, OR 1-2 cups fresh shiitakes, sauteed and minced*
- 1/4 cup black sesame seeds
- 7/8 package pickled gobo(burdock root)*, sliced crosswise into 1/4 inch pieces OR 1/2 cup sliced carrots, steamed til pierceable, cooled and minced
- optional 1 package or can of pickled Kampyo(gourd ribbons), finely chopped
- optional 1/4- 1/2 cup smoked trout or cooked salmon, chopped, OR tobiko(flying fish roe)
- Thoroughly combine rice, shiitakes,sesame and gobo or carrots. Taste and add seasoning if needed.Gently open tofu skin pockets and gently stuff with rice mixture, leaving 1/2" unfilled. Fold over top if packing for travel.
- Note: If rice has been prepared in advance, refrigerated and hardened, sprinkle with a little water and microwave for 30-60 seconds til room temp and chewy.
- Notes: All these optional ingredients can be found in a Japanese store, but you can also choose to use more readily available ingredients(zucchini, beets, celery, sugar snap peas, drained cucumber etc.) No rules!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring