If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We all know the benefits of Kale. While we have known the best ways to consume it in the form of chips , or smoothies or salads. I tried to make paranthas - Indian stuffed flatbreads out of them and making it a staple for lunch or dinner in my house and thus increase the consumption on regular basis. —PistachioDoughnut
Serves 4 to 6 paranthas
Dough for Paratha
- 1.5 cups kale, cleaned, stems/ribs removed and steamed
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour + extra for dusting
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup Water
- Wash thoroughly and remove the stem or rib of kale and steam it with little water in microwave enough to soften it . Remove the kale leaves from water and chop them. Keep the water to knead the dough.
- Take the wheat flour and salt , add oil and then chopped kale and mix well everything and gradually add the water left from steaming kale and knead a not so stiff or not too sticky dough. Once, you have the dough ready , grease it with oil and keep it covered till we make the stuffing.
- You can make paranthas without the stuffing, simply following the above steps and by adding a little more flavor like ginger, garlic and green chilli paste into dough. Because in this recipe I am making Potato stuffed kale Paratha, we are going to season and flavor the stuffing and so I have only used salt to season the dough. I hope I am not confusing here.
- 3 to 4 Medium sized potatoes , boiled and mashed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste
- 1 to 2 Green chillies chopped or paste
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon Sugar
- Boil the potatoes and remove from the pan and let them cool a little bit , remove the skin and mash them . Add, chopped onions, chillies, ginger and all the other spices ans season it.
- Mix everything well. Let it stand for a minute or so.
- Meanwhile, take the Kale dough and divide it into equal parts and roll out medium sized rounds about 2 inches or so not too thin.
- Take the potato stuffing with the help of spoon. Place it exactly in the middle of the rolled dough.
- Once, the stuffing is placed, take the dough and seal it properly not leaving any space or air inside because once again we would roll it and if there is any air inside it while sealing it , the stuffing would pop out.
- Once you have the dumpling styles stuffed round dough ball , simply press it and roll out a round.
- Heat a griddle on the other side on stove at medium high heat, while you roll out all the paranthas.
- Take a teaspoon of oil or butter on the griddle and shallow fry or roast the parantha equally on both the sides.
- Once all of them are done. Serve it with some chilled plain yogurt or sweet or salty Plain lassi.
Put Summer in a Jar
How to freestyle berry jam
Freestyle berry jam.
A toast to toast.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.
The new Food52 office.