If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: While succotash is usually reserved for the summer, I found myself with a celery bunch and two very out of season ears of corn that needed to be cooked. New York felt like summer today so it's not a shocker that succotash popped into my head for this challenge. Since my recent trip to India, I have not been able to shake my obsession with all flavors S.E. Asian so this is the flavor profile I gave to my succotash. The ginger and garlic give warmth while the chile pepper literally heats it up. A splash of sesame oil and brown rice vinegar and a sprinkling of mint finished the meal. —testkitchenette
Serves 1 (or more if you are not as greedy as me)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon small shallot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- pinches sea salt
- 1 celery bunch, sliced on the bias (leaves too)
- 2 ears corn, shucked
- 1 Thai chile, halved and seeded
- 1/2 sweet potato, baked and chopped (I baked it at 400F, pierced, for about an hour, let cool and chopped it)
- 1/4 cup mint, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat. Add in the shallot, ginger, and garlic and sweat them for about 2 minutes until the shallots get translucent. Add in the celery and corn and let cook for about 2 minutes, stirring the whole time. Add a pinch of salt.
- Add in the Thai chile and the sweet potato and let cook for a minute or two to warm up. Stir in the finely chopped mint, honey, brown rice vinegar, and toasted sesame oil. Check for seasoning. Take chile pieces out.
- Serve as a side dish or as a main warm salad dish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Celery Recipe
DIY Nutter Butters Are Better
Sandwich cookies that take peanut butter seriously
DIY Nutter Butters.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
How to make bouillabaisse.
We give it 8 tentacles up.