Author Notes: Why not put healthy crunchy celery and tobiko (flying fish caviar) into a crab rangoon-like filling? Maybe it will help squelch my guilt as I finish off a platter by myself?!
- LE BEC FIN
Makes about 12
Celery Crab Rangoon Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese,softened, room temperature
- 6 ounces kanikama- japanese crab stick *
- 1/3-1/2 cup minced scallion, green and white parts
- 1/2 cup peeled celery,finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoon tobiko (flying fish caviar)
- 12 green scallion stems , limp
- In a mini processor whisk cream cheese until fluffy. Add crab and pulse til finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl and stir in scallion, celery and tobiko. Set aside in a small bowl.
- * As with most Japanese food items, the more expensive the kanikama, the better the flavor quality.Kanikama and tobiko can be found in most Asian markets.
Assembly and Frying of Firecrackers /Beggar's Purses
- 12 square egg roll wrappers, smaller size, 5" square
- 1 1/2 cup crab and celery filling
- 12 each 6" lengths of wilted scallion stems
- 4-6 cups canola oil for deep frying
- For the firecracker form,follow package directions, filling each with 1/8 cup of mixture.Tie the middle with a piece of wilted scallion.
- Deep fry in oil at least 3" deep and at 375 degrees F until medium brown, about 4-5 minutes.Do not crowd the pot. Drain on doubled paper towels on a bed of newspapers.Serve as is.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Celery Recipe