Author Notes: The Eugene Farmers' Market is full of vibrant jewels like carrots, radishes, beets, greens and baby garlic. I hated to waste the radish and carrot greens so I made pesto. It tastes just like spring. I smothered some cod with this and baked it at 400 for 15 minutes. Tomorrow I might mix in some mayo and sour cream for a variation on green goddess dressing or maybe I'll stir it into bow tie pasta and peas... - leslie mcstravick
Makes 1.5-2 cups
- 1 bunch carrot greens
- 1 bunch radish greens
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 pinch red pepper flake
- 1/4 preserved lemon. Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon would be fine
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped and gently toasted. I think pine nuts or hazelnuts would be just as good.
- 1/2-1 cup olive oil, depending on desired texture
- salt to taste
- Put everything but olive oil in a food processor and pulse until combined. I had to add the greens in stages for lack of room.
- Slowly add the olive oil until desired consistency is reached. Add salt to taste. I needed very little because of the anchovy paste and preserved lemon.