Author Notes: I was looking at the menu of Olivia here in Austin and one thing that caught my eye was oysters with frozen mignonette. I decided to try a green onion granita - the cold tangy oniony snow is a perfect compliment to the briny oysters. - La452
Serves a tray if onion ice for as many oysters as you care to shuck
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley leaves
- Put everything but the oysters in a blender and whiz. Pour the mixture into a flat dish - I used a small pyrex - and put it in the freezer. When it starts to freeze (after about 45 minutes or so) start scraping it with a fork. Scrape every half hour or so until you have a tangy green snow.
- Shuck your oysters. Top with snow. Eat.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Scallions
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Alliums