If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: If you like cold soups, you should give this white gazpacho a try.
Ajo Blanco (white garlic) is a gazpacho very popular in the south of Spain, particularly in Malaga, Cordoba and Granada. The name derives from the white garlic variety used that is found in Malaga.
It's ingredients are typical from the region: almonds, white garlic, olive oil and Sherry vinegar to which bread and water are added.
This soup is served chilled, with white grapes or cubes of melon, always best after a night in the fridge.
- 4 white garlic cloves - young
- 3 cups white bread - crumb only
- 2 cups blanched almonds
- 2 1/2 cups cold filtered water
- 1/2 cup Ectra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 to 6 tablespoons Sherry Vinegar (depends on personal taste)
- 1 cup white grapes, cut in half and deseeded
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Fleur de Sel for serving
- Put the almonds, peeled garlic cloves and white bread crumb in a bowl with the water and allow to soak 2 hours (preferably overnight). Drain, reserving the water.
- Put the 4 ingredients in a food processor and blitz until the mixture is a paste. Here you will notice a big difference using overnight soaked almonds, they will give you a creamier mixture and will be easier to process.
- Add salt, Sherry vinegar and the reserved water and process again.
- Add the olive oil in a drizzle and process until smooth and velvety. Check for salt and vinegar.
- Put a mesh colander over a big bowl and pour the soup in it. With the back of a ladle, press on the solids to extract all the liquid out.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and refrigerate - better overnight as all the tastes improve.
- Serve with white grapes cut in halves and deseeded, a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of Fleur de Sel.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Alliums
Orange You Glad?
A better, more carrot-y carrot cake
A more carrot-y carrot cake.
Bring some flare to your cookout.
Life's better with snacks.
A better basket.