If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My son eats okonomiyaki so he can smear it in Chuno Sauce. I recommend my Homemade Chuno Sauce which is a perfect match for real Bull-Dog Vegetable and Fruit (Chuno) Sauce, available at Amazon. You can also add a little mayo to the Chuno Sauce in Osaka style.
You could also cook pork separately, then lay on top of the okonomiyaki. —BoulderGalinTokyo
Beef Chive Okonomiyaki
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups water or broth
- 2 cups all purpose flour or whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 1/2 cups cabbage (about 400 grams), thinly sliced
- 1 onion, grated or finely diced
- 300 grams beef, thinly sliced or Prosciutto ham (175 grams)
- 1 cup nira (garlic chives, 2nd photo) or chives, minced
Homemade Chuno Sauce
- 1/2 cup Del Monte™ Ketchup
- 1/4 cup Lea & Perrins Worchestershire Sauce™
- Kewpie Mayonnaise (optional)
- 1. Mix egg, water or broth, and mix with a whisk. Add flour and whisk again. Should be a 'watery-looking' batter, so add a little more water if needed.
- Add thinly sliced cabbage and grated onion. Mix well. Add chives to batter.
- Wipe grill, hotplate, or skillet with oil on a paper towel. Drop in 1/2 cup measure for pancake-size okonomiyaki. Lay the beef on top, without overlapping.
- When first side is cooked, turn over and cook second side (topping-side) quickly. Check that beef is cooked. Or you can fill the whole skillet with batter the way it is served in Japan. Cut like a pizza, or eat one skillet-size okonomiyaki as a dinner.
- Slather generously with Chuno Sauce. In Southern Japan, half Chuno Sauce and half Kewpie Mayonnaise is very popular. If using store-bought US mayo, add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to 1/2 cup mayo, mix well. Then add Chuno Sauce.
- If you multiply Okonomiyaki recipe, don't forget to multiply Homemade Chono Sauce recipe!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Alliums
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.