Author Notes: There's almost nothing better than a soft, tender mango, or three. Mangos bring a certain sweetness to any dish that makes you want more and more after just one taste. The kind of sweetness that would go great in chicken salad.
I like my chicken salad a tad more on the sweet side, and mangos definitely bring that to the table. This goes to show how fruit can be used to up the ante to a savory dish. Drizzles of rice wine vinegar and lemon juice cut that sweetness so its not overwhelming. If you still want more mango flavor, though, a quick mango sauce glowing on top will do the trick. - Munch This!
Makes about 5-6 cups
Mango Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps with Mango Sauce
- 1 store bought, pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from supermarket (preferably lemon pepper)
- 2 ripe, soft mangos (peeled, diced, cubed)
- 1/2 large red onion (peeled, diced, cubed)
- 2 sticks of celery (washed, white's removed, diced, cubed)
- 4 tablespoons chopped celery leaves
- 2 green onions (washed, whites removed, diced, chopped)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup mango sauce (recipe follows)
- 1 head of lettuce (washed)
- The hardest part about this is the pulling of the chicken meat. Pull all chicken meat from store-bought chicken and place in a large bowl. Just go at it with your hands. Make sure not to add any bones or skin. Wash your hands when done. You could also just cook your favorite chicken recipe and add that chicken if you like.
- In bowl with chicken, add diced and cubed mangos, onion, celery and its leaves, green onion and and chopped basil. Mix until combined.
- Add vinegar and lemon juice. Combine again.
- Season with sugar, salt, pepper. Stir contents one more time.
- Finish with mustard, Greek yogurt and mayo. Mix in toasted almonds. Mix until well combined.
- Refrigerate while you do the mango sauce. Serve over some lettuce leaves.
- 1 ripe, soft mango (peeled, diced, cubed)
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a small pot over low heat, heat up mango and begin to mash with a fork.
- When pureed, add sugar and water and mix until sauce-like consistency.
- Strain contents through a sieve and discard pulpy remains.
- Add 1/4 cup to chicken salad and later serve with a little over the salad when inside the lettuce wrap.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mangoes