If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Last Saturday I made this for an impromptu Cinco de Mayo party and loved how the green mango stood in for a more traditional citrus addition. - gingerroot
Makes 3 cups
- 1 whole dried New Mexico red chile
- 3 ripe Champagne or Ataulfo mangoes, peeled and chopped for 3 cups of fruit
- 1 firm green mango, peeled and chopped for about a cup of fruit
- 1 cup peeled and sliced cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon rough chopped cilantro stems
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (plus more to taste if necessary)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- Crema Mexicana for serving (can substitute crème fraiche)
- Generous amounts of toasted pepitas for serving
- Using kitchen shears remove stem from chile and discard. Cut chile into small ½-inch squares and place in a bowl. Cover chile with hot water and let rehydrate for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and discard the water (but not the seeds). Place soaked chile pieces (and seeds) in the bowl of a food processor.
- Add the next five ingredients (through cilantro stems) to the food processor.
- Toast cumin seeds in a dry pan over medium heat until fragrant, shaking pan to prevent burning. Crush seeds in a mortar and pestle. Add to soup mixture along with kosher salt.
- With the machine running, add olive oil and water in a stream through chute. Continue processing, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides with a spatula, until mixture is smooth and mango pieces are no longer visible.
- Transfer soup to a bowl or quart glass measure and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least two hours and up to a day to allow flavors to meld. Before serving, stir and taste for salt, adding more if necessary.
- When serving, portion soup into small bowls, stir in crema (start with a teaspoon), and top with toasted pepitas. Enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Warm Weather Soup
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mangoes
Egyptian Street Food at Home
Spend quality time with The Cairo Kitchen.
The Cairo Kitchen
Boost your Bagel
Fire up the grill.
Dipped Walnut Tongs
Portable picnic snacks.