If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is a slightly altered version of Deborah Madison's Jicama, Blood Orange, and Radish Salad from her tome Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. The matchsticks of crunchy fuchsia watermelon radish, the creamy green avocado, the sweetness of orange juice and texture and colour of the sunflower sprouts play well together, and the toasted cumin in the dressing gives us even more to ponder. We eat this salad with everything from tacos to tilapia, and you can easily substitute pea shoots for the sunflower sprouts or use a different kind of orange, or add toasted pepitas as Madison does. I've simplified Madison's vinaigrette a bit here. —Shalini
- 1 medium jicama, sliced into matchsticks
- 3 watermelon radishes, unpeeled and julienned
- 1 medium avocado, cut into chunks
- 1 Cara Cara or Navel Orange
- 3 cups sunflower sprouts
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 sprinkle of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium limes
- 1 grinding of black pepper
- Place the jicama and watermelon radish matchsticks in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add cubes of avocado the mix, or just spoon out even-sized chunks with a spoon.
- Cut the orange into segments and add the pieces to the bowl along with their juices.
- Pile in the sunflower sprouts and get on with the vinaigrette.
- For a simplified version of the Lime-Cumin Vinaigrette, start by toasting the cumin seeds in a skillet and taking the pan off the heat when they're nice and fragrant.
- Crush the cumin seeds in a mortar and pestle with a clove of garlic and a sprinkle of coarse salt. Stir in two tablespoons of olive oil and the juice of two limes. Grind over some black pepper and stir. Put this over your salad, toss it, and bring it to the table.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Radishes or Turnips
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Beans! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
The Hudson Valley's where it's at.
Get your shine on.