Author Notes: The recipe for this chilled soup is about as simple as it gets. It was given to me at a dinner party last summer and I scribbled down the ingredients on my cocktail napkin. I added Meyer lemon zest and juice, and substituted honey for white sugar.
Serves 6 as a starter
- 1 hothouse cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 bunch red radishes, trimmed and quartered (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon Meyer lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Meyer lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch ground white pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Process until smooth.
- Chill several hours before serving.
- Garnish with thin slices of radish and cucumber. Serve cold.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Warm Weather Soup
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Radishes or Turnips