Author Notes: My idea for this recipe came from my college dining hall "grab n go," of all places. Since there were a lot of vegans, the dining hall chef concocted a miso peanut butter sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and cucumbers on top. I thought it sounded awful but, when I finally tried it, I because addicted! Now I use the peanut butter miso combo a ton for weeknight meals. Feel free to use any veggies you have on hand or skip the noodles and serve over rice, etc. - Cathy Likes Cheese
Food52 Review: This recipe was easy to follow, the ingredients were really well balanced, and as a whole, it was really well put together. The marinade for the tofu was so good that I actually ate it off of a spoon! Keep in mind that I only wound up using half of the sauce, so be sure to add it in stages.
Miso Peanut Sauce
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons agave
- 2 splashes sriracha or other chili sauce
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup white miso
- splashes water
Tofu, Veggies, and Noodles
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or other oil with high smoke point
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound firm tofu, drained and pressed for at least 30 minutes, then cut into cubes
- 1 bunch bok choy, chopped, leaves and ribs separated
- 8 ounces shitaki mushrooms, stemmed removed and caps quartered
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 8 ounces dried rice noodles
- Combine first four sauce ingredients in a bowl and add tofu. Let marinate for 15 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, boil a pot of water, add rice noodles, and immediately take off heat. Soak until rice noodles are almost tender, about 3-4 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok until sizzling, then add tofu in one layer, reserving marinade. Cook, undisturbed, for 3 minutes, then flip tofu to brown other side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in the wok and add garlic and ginger, stirring until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Add mushrooms, bok choy ribs, and carrots, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the sauce ingredients to the marinade, stirring and adding water until the consistency of a thick sauce is reached.
- When vegetables are cooked, add noodles and stir fry until slightly browned.
- Add tofu, peanut sauce, and bok choy leaves and stir until everything is combined and warmed through, about a minute more.