If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This super colorful, crunchy, moderately healthy meal has an outstanding "wow" to effort ratio. Try it on a soft grilled roll for a great memorial day cookout alternative, or over a salad for a elegant early summer supper. - PitchforkDiaries
Cornmeal Crusted Soft Shell Crab
- 4 soft shell crabs, cleaned
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pimenton
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 soft rolls or pairs of brioche slices
- 2 cups peanut or canola oil, for frying
- 2 cups salad greens
- Whisk together milk and eggs in a pie plate or low bowl.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, pimenton and salt in a separate pie plate or bowl.
- Toast rolls and keep warm in a low temperature oven.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed frying pan to 325 F, or until a pinch of the cornmeal mixture sizzles rapidly when sprinkled in.
- Coat crab in the egg mixture, and then the cornmeal mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Gently lay them, going away from you, in the pan of oil. Fry until golden brown, about three minutes per side. Lower heat if browning too quickly. Remove from oil and drain on several layers of paper towels.
- Put greens on the toasted rolls, top with a soft shell crab, and then a large spoonful of buttermilk apple chive slaw (recipe below). Serve immediately.
Buttermilk Apple Chive Slaw
- 1 cup purple cabbage, packed, sliced very thin
- 1 cup Green Apple, julienne or shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, finely minced
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- Whisk together buttermilk, cider vinegar, celery salt, and sugar.
- In a medium bowl, combine cabbage, apple, chives and carrot. Toss with buttermilk dressing and refrigerate until ready for use.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish
12 Make-Ahead Egg Dishes for Easter Brunch
Hop to it!
Winner of Your Best Recipe with Honey
A sweet Q&A with Alexandra Higgins.
Style with a breeze.
Watch Amanda and Merrill Make Macaroni and Cheese Without a Recipe
Gouda riddance to powdered cheese.
Cauliflower Gratin With Mornay Sauce