If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Risotto with Champagne and Scampi is a classic Italian dish that, due to it’s refined ingredients, is served mainly on special occasions like Christmas or New Year. Unlike other risottos, Risotto with Champagne uses a whole bottle of Champagne and very little stock, hence the better the Champagne, the better your risotto will be. Hope you find a meal to try this suttle risotto. - Maria Teresa Jorge
- 2 cups Carnaroli fine rice (not parboiled)
- 1 cup very light vegetable broth (you might not need it all)
- 1 bottle of good Champagne (750ml)
- 3 shallots very finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup cream
- 18 very fresh Scampi, no skin or head and deveined
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley finely chopped
- black pepper
- Clean the Scampi removing head, skin and deveining them. Set aside.
- Peel and chop very finely the shallots.
- Put the Champagne in a pan and warm it up.
- Put the vegetable broth in a pan and keep it over low heat so it is always hot.
- In a pan melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat, add the other shallot and allow to cook for 5 minutes until translucent. Add the rice and fry until well coated in oil and lightly translucent.
- Add the 750ml of warm Champagne all at once, stir and allow the risotto to simmer gently (uncovered).
- When the rice is almost dry, add enough broth to continue cooking until al dente (more or less 15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, melt the other 2 tablespoons of butter and lightly sauté the Scampi. Season with salt and pepper. Chop in 2 or 3 pieces 6 scampi and keep the others for garnish. Keep warm covering with an aluminium foil.
- Warm up the cream but don't let it boil.
- After 15 minutes, remove from the heat. Check the seasoning and add some freshly grated black pepper, the hot cream and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon to cream the risotto. Check the seasoning. Add half the scampi and any juices from the pan and mix gently. Cover and let rest for 3 minutes before serving.
- Plate the risotto, garnish with 2 Scampi per plate, sprinkle with some chopped parsley and freshly ground black pepper.
- In Italy we don't serve Parmesan dish with any fish or shellfish so this risotto doesn't call for any cheese but feel free to add if you like it.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Savory Rice Dish