Author Notes: This is a home grown recipe for Bubur Arab or Arabic Porridge. Mainly its a spicy wheat porridge cooked wholesomely with lamb cubes and bones... A must try when you're in the mood for some comfort food! - Mistress of Spices
Serves 6-8 pax
- 1 cup of whole wheat
- 1/2 cup of barley
- 1 inch of ginger
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 3 tablespoons Arabic Mixed Spice
- 1 tablespoon Asian Sweet Spice
- 1.3 pounds of Lamb Cubes (can mix with Lamb Bones or Shank)
- 1/2 pound Shallots
- Soak wheat & barley separately overnight. Remember to rinse & change the water the next day before cooking.
- Blend the ginger & garlic. Together with the Dry Spices, marinade lamb cubes & set aside prior to cooking.
- Skinned shallots then slice thinly. Fry them in vegetable oil to be used for garnishing.
Putting it together
- 5 pods of Cardamom
- 2 pieces of Aniseed Flower
- 3 pieces Cloves
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 1 can of Evaporated Milk
- 2 liters of Water
- 3 tablespoons Ghee or Clarified Butter
- Himalayan Rock Salt to taste
- Heat Ghee in deep pot & once melted, fry the dry spices (cardamom, aniseed, cloves, cinnamon) till aroma arises.
- Add in marinated meat and stir well till meat is coated over medium heat. Add in wheat and barley. Stir all ingredients till its mixed well.
- Add in milk and stir. Then add in water and boil over high heat, remember to stir else wheat will stick to bottom of pot. Once boiling, add salt & reduce heat to low and simmer for an hour or so, stirring occasionally to ensure wheat does not stick to bottom of pot.
- Add more water should consistency thickens and wheat hasn't fully cooked. Porridge is done once wheat has cracked open, add salt to taste.
- Serve in individual bowls with fried shallots on top. Can also dish out porridge with some pickled vegetables or Rojak to mellow out richness of dish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal