If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a home grown recipe for Bubur Arab or Arabic Porridge. Mainly its a spicy wheat porridge cooked wholesomely with lamb cubes and bones... A must try when you're in the mood for some comfort food! - Mistress of Spices
Serves 6-8 pax
- 1 cup of whole wheat
- 1/2 cup of barley
- 1 inch of ginger
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 3 tablespoons Arabic Mixed Spice
- 1 tablespoon Asian Sweet Spice
- 1.3 pounds of Lamb Cubes (can mix with Lamb Bones or Shank)
- 1/2 pound Shallots
- Soak wheat & barley separately overnight. Remember to rinse & change the water the next day before cooking.
- Blend the ginger & garlic. Together with the Dry Spices, marinade lamb cubes & set aside prior to cooking.
- Skinned shallots then slice thinly. Fry them in vegetable oil to be used for garnishing.
Putting it together
- 5 pods of Cardamom
- 2 pieces of Aniseed Flower
- 3 pieces Cloves
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 1 can of Evaporated Milk
- 2 liters of Water
- 3 tablespoons Ghee or Clarified Butter
- Himalayan Rock Salt to taste
- Heat Ghee in deep pot & once melted, fry the dry spices (cardamom, aniseed, cloves, cinnamon) till aroma arises.
- Add in marinated meat and stir well till meat is coated over medium heat. Add in wheat and barley. Stir all ingredients till its mixed well.
- Add in milk and stir. Then add in water and boil over high heat, remember to stir else wheat will stick to bottom of pot. Once boiling, add salt & reduce heat to low and simmer for an hour or so, stirring occasionally to ensure wheat does not stick to bottom of pot.
- Add more water should consistency thickens and wheat hasn't fully cooked. Porridge is done once wheat has cracked open, add salt to taste.
- Serve in individual bowls with fried shallots on top. Can also dish out porridge with some pickled vegetables or Rojak to mellow out richness of dish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal
These Snacks were Made for Sharing
15 Portable Snacks for any Picnic
Portable picnic snacks.
You back-pocket dish.
Fire up the grill.
Dipped Walnut Tongs
Sweet, ripened stone fruit.