If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Last week when Feed52 presented the article "Mushrooms Turn Bacon: A Vegan's Delight", I was fascinated. Mushrooms that taste like bacon?...That can't be! I did some research and found a video that used Shitake mushrooms in place of the hard to find Trumpets. I made them and found them pretty satisfying, and so added them to this bread pudding. (The "k" is intentional) - inpatskitchen
Serves 6 to 8 depending on whether serving as a side or light entree
For the Bakon?!?!
- 8 ounces Shitake mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and discard or reserve for stock. Slice the caps in about 1/3 inch slices.
- Place the mushroom slices in a bowl, add the oil and salt and toss thoroughly. Place on a baking sheet and roast in a 350F oven for 30 to 40 minutes, turning them every 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
For the Pudding
- 6 cups cubed bread cut from a stale baguette (approximately 18" long)
- 1 Large sweet onion, peeled halved and then thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 8 ounces sliced mixed mushrooms (I used Baby Bella, Shitake and Oyster)
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- The previously made Bakon?!?! pieces torn up a little
- 2 cups shredded Fontina cheese (approximately 6 ounces), divided
- A very well buttered 9x13 inch baking dish
- In a large saute pan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter, add the sliced onions and cook over medium heat until lighly caramelized. This will take about 15 minutes. Place in a small bowl to cool.
- In the same saute pan, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter, add the sliced mushrooms, garlic and thyme and over high heat saute until the mushrooms brown up.
- Whisk the eggs, half and half and black pepper together and add to the bread cubes. Stir in the caramelized onions, the sauteed mushrooms, one cup of the Fontina and the Bakon?!?!
- Pour the mixture into the well buttered baking dish, top with the remaining Fontina, cover and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours.
- Bake the pudding in a pre heated 350F oven for 40 to 45 minutes. Let rest for about 10 minutes before cutting.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Stale Bread
Recipe of the Day
Garden Mule Cocktail
Garden Mule Cocktail
Fresh beer, anywhere.
What to Do With Marjoram
How to keep produce longer.
Go play outside!