Author Notes: Me: There's some Kale I need to use up.. can I make that for Lunch? DH: How about some Kale rice?..saute the Kale with onion, add some rice..?? Me: Sounds good.. how about adding some Garbanzo to the mix? DH: Perfect.. can you make some cucumber Raita with that? 1/2 hr later.... ME on the F52 Hotline: URGENT: need info on spices to pair with Kale.. 15 min later.. HLA: Go Moroccan with some Ras el Hanout.. 1/2 hr Later.. Kristen: Nutmeg.. (the only hitch.. I was already half way through) BUT, to cut a LOONG story short.. Delicious healthy Biryani spiced up with Anardana (dried Pomegranate powder), Ras el hanout with a touch of Nutmeg. Adding fresh Pomegranates as a garnish in lieu of herbs was a last minute touch but it worked splendidly!
- 2 cups Canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups Cooked Basmati rice
- 1/2 bunch Tuscan /Dinosaur Kale leaves washed, dried, deveined and cut into a chiffonade
- 3 largish Shallots, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil + extra for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon Coriander seeds, whole
- 1 - 2 tablespoon Ras el Hanout spice blend
- 2 tablespoons Anardana (dried Pomegranate powder) OR pomegranate molasses
- 1/2 cup Pomegranate Arils
- Salt to taste
- 1 pinch Cayenne pepper (as per taste)
- 1/2 Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Toasted sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet. WHen it just barely begins to smoke, add the coriander seeds, stir and allow to turn a golden brown. Add the shallots and fry on low heat until it turns translucent. Add the Kale, Garbanzo, Ras el Hanout, Pomegranate Powder (or molasses) and the cayenne. (cover and cook on low heat until the kale is completely wilted. Add salt and adjust for seasoning.
- Brush a 8 inch baking dish liberally with olive oil. Layer half the Basmati evenly. Over the rice, add the Cooked Kale mixture and spread evenly. Using a microplane, grate the nutmeg evenly over the green mixture. Add the remaining Basmati rice and smooth down over the kale/garbanzo mix. Sprinkle the toasted almonds and drizzle with extra oil. You may have some Kale Garbanzo filling left over..
- Cover the baking dish with a sheet of aluminum foil. Bake for 25-30 minutes till the dish emits a fragrant aroma. The steam trapped inside helps the cooking process. since the kale isn't as 'liquidy' as spinach.
- Remove the dish from the oven, uncover and allow to cool slightly. Liberally garnish with the fresh pomegranate arils prior to serving. Pair this with a simple Yogurt side such as Raita or Tzatziki