If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This combination of bright fruit makes a great appetizer for a wintertime gathering. Pomegranate arils add tang and texture while persimmon flesh adds sweetness and substance. Rich avocado partly melts into a creamy binder when stirred in. The flavors are brought together with lime juice, shallot, serrano pepper, and a slightly unexpected herb and spice combination. Serve with pita chips or lavash, or consider using in place of a mango or pineapple salsa and serve it with pork chops or chicken. —hardlikearmour
Food52 Review: WHO: hardlikearmour is an outdoorsy baker based in the Pacific Northwest.
WHAT: A salsa so good you'll want to eat it with a spoon.
HOW: Just dice, toss, and here's the important part -- give it some time for the flavors to mingle and make friends.
WHY WE LOVE IT: The union of sage, cinnamon, and chile will try and throw you for a loop, but don't let it. Give in. Chips optional but recommended. —The Editors
Makes about 3 cups
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (2 large limes)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons minced shallot (2 medium-large cloves)
- 2 persimmons, peeled and diced
- 1 1/3 cups pomegranate arils (1 large pomegranate)
- 1 large Hass avocado, flesh diced
- 1 serrano chile, seeds and veins removed, flesh minced
- 2 tablespoons chiffonade mint
- 2 teaspoons minced sage
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine lime juice, salt, and minced shallot in a medium non-reactive bowl while prepping the rest of the ingredients.
- Dice the persimmon and avocado so the pieces are about the same size as a pomegranate aril. As ingredients are prepped, add them to the bowl, gently tossing to incorporate. When everything has been added, toss to blend.
- Allow flavors to meld 20 to 60 minutes before serving. This holds up for several hours, so is best made the same day. It tastes fine later, but the avocado gets a little ugly.
- Your Best Persimmons Contest Winner!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pomegranates
Put That Cucumber down
Zucchini pickles are the new big dill
Put that cucumber down.
A bite-sized lunch.
Free shipping, this weekend only!
The freedom to snack.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.