If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Winter here in Finland is cold. Really cold. And the best way to brighten up your day is to use the gorgeous, bright-colored, fresh seasonal citrus fruit and the earthy root vegetables to chase any winter blues away. This recipe uses blood orange and slow-roasted parsnips and carrots combined with hearty cooked barley for a robust and satisfying salad - EatSimplyEatWell
- 2 cups cooked barley, see step 1
- 1 cup chopped roasted parsnips and carrots, see step 2
- 1 teaspoon ground flax seed
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 green (spring) onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds (or use almond meat leftover from making almond milk)
- 1/2 blood orange, juiced. Use both juice and pulp
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 blood orange; supreme
- Cooking Barley: Cook the barley as follows: In a medium-sized pot, combine: 2 1/4 cups / 4.5 dl water 1/2 cup barley / ohra 1/2 teaspoon salt Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a low and cook, covered, until the barley is tender and the water is absorbed, about 45 minutes. Remove from heat and drain off any excess water. This will make 2 cups.
- Roasting Root Vegetables: Roast the vegetables while the barley cooks as follows: Preheat oven to 200°C / 400°F. On a parchment-lined baking pan place: 1 large parsnip, peeled and cut into sticks 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into sticks Drizzle with 3 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle all over with salt and pepper. Toss to coat evenly. Roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes until fork-tender and slightly browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Chop enough enough of the root vegetables to form one cup and store the remainder in a covered container in the refrigerator for another use - or eat them right away with your fingers like I usually do.
- Combine the flaxseed and water and set aside to soak
- Assembly: Combine green onions, orange juice and pulp, salt, pepper, soaked flaxseed, salt, pepper and olive oil in a medium-sized bowl and stir to combine. Add the barley and chopped root vegetables and toss the whole mixture to combine thoroughly. Transfer the mixture to a 1 liter / 1 quart / 4 cup serving bowl and top with the supremed orange slices.