Author Notes: Winter here in Finland is cold. Really cold. And the best way to brighten up your day is to use the gorgeous, bright-colored, fresh seasonal citrus fruit and the earthy root vegetables to chase any winter blues away. This recipe uses blood orange and slow-roasted parsnips and carrots combined with hearty cooked barley for a robust and satisfying salad - EatSimplyEatWell
- 2 cups cooked barley, see step 1
- 1 cup chopped roasted parsnips and carrots, see step 2
- 1 teaspoon ground flax seed
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 green (spring) onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds (or use almond meat leftover from making almond milk)
- 1/2 blood orange, juiced. Use both juice and pulp
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 blood orange; supreme
- Cooking Barley: Cook the barley as follows: In a medium-sized pot, combine: 2 1/4 cups / 4.5 dl water 1/2 cup barley / ohra 1/2 teaspoon salt Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a low and cook, covered, until the barley is tender and the water is absorbed, about 45 minutes. Remove from heat and drain off any excess water. This will make 2 cups.
- Roasting Root Vegetables: Roast the vegetables while the barley cooks as follows: Preheat oven to 200°C / 400°F. On a parchment-lined baking pan place: 1 large parsnip, peeled and cut into sticks 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into sticks Drizzle with 3 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle all over with salt and pepper. Toss to coat evenly. Roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes until fork-tender and slightly browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Chop enough enough of the root vegetables to form one cup and store the remainder in a covered container in the refrigerator for another use - or eat them right away with your fingers like I usually do.
- Combine the flaxseed and water and set aside to soak
- Assembly: Combine green onions, orange juice and pulp, salt, pepper, soaked flaxseed, salt, pepper and olive oil in a medium-sized bowl and stir to combine. Add the barley and chopped root vegetables and toss the whole mixture to combine thoroughly. Transfer the mixture to a 1 liter / 1 quart / 4 cup serving bowl and top with the supremed orange slices.