Author Notes: I must have been thinking of the Pisa tower when I made this recipe. Stack, stack, stack... polenta, mushroom, polenta, sautéed mushroom and finally gorgonzola! - Maria Teresa Jorge
- 6 big cap mushrooms like boletes
- 2 cups button mushrooms sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove chopped finely, green inner part removed
- freshly ground pepper
- 12 tablespoons sweet soft gorgonzola
- 1 cup cornmeal or instant polenta
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Pre-heat the grill in the oven to 450ºF with rack in top position.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Clean and trim the button mushrooms and cut them in slices.
- Clean the big cap mushrooms with a wet cloth and a brush. Brush a little olive oil on the top of the caps and grill them for 6 minutes.
- Chop the parsley and garlic very finely. Remove the leaves of the thyme.
- In a sautée pan, over moderate high heat warm the olive oil. Sautée the button mushroom slices until golden. Add the thyme leaves, garlic and parsley and cook for a further 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the gorgonzola in small pieces.
- For the Polenta: In a heavy pan bring water and salt to a boil. Pour the cornmeal in a steady stream and whisk. Lower heat to low and cook the polenta so that it barely boils, whisking constantly. When it starts to thicken, use a wooden spoon and continue cooking for 45 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes until the polenta creates a crust in the pan and pulls away from the sides. If using pre-cooked polenta follow the instructions in the package.
- Finish off the polenta - Add the butter to the polenta and stir very well until butter is melted and incorporated and polenta is creamy.
- In an oven proof dish (individual or one big one) spread a layer of polenta, top with the big cap grilled mushroom bottom up, fill the inside of the cap with polenta, add sautéed button mushrooms and finish with 1 tablespoon of gorgonzola on top of the mushrooms and another tablespoon of gorgonzola over the first layer of polenta.
- Lower the oven rack to middle position and grill the polenta/mushrooms/gorgonzola until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Polenta Recipe