If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I must have been thinking of the Pisa tower when I made this recipe. Stack, stack, stack... polenta, mushroom, polenta, sautéed mushroom and finally gorgonzola! —Maria Teresa Jorge
- 6 big cap mushrooms like boletes
- 2 cups button mushrooms sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove chopped finely, green inner part removed
- freshly ground pepper
- 12 tablespoons sweet soft gorgonzola
- 1 cup cornmeal or instant polenta
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Pre-heat the grill in the oven to 450ºF with rack in top position.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Clean and trim the button mushrooms and cut them in slices.
- Clean the big cap mushrooms with a wet cloth and a brush. Brush a little olive oil on the top of the caps and grill them for 6 minutes.
- Chop the parsley and garlic very finely. Remove the leaves of the thyme.
- In a sautée pan, over moderate high heat warm the olive oil. Sautée the button mushroom slices until golden. Add the thyme leaves, garlic and parsley and cook for a further 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the gorgonzola in small pieces.
- For the Polenta: In a heavy pan bring water and salt to a boil. Pour the cornmeal in a steady stream and whisk. Lower heat to low and cook the polenta so that it barely boils, whisking constantly. When it starts to thicken, use a wooden spoon and continue cooking for 45 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes until the polenta creates a crust in the pan and pulls away from the sides. If using pre-cooked polenta follow the instructions in the package.
- Finish off the polenta - Add the butter to the polenta and stir very well until butter is melted and incorporated and polenta is creamy.
- In an oven proof dish (individual or one big one) spread a layer of polenta, top with the big cap grilled mushroom bottom up, fill the inside of the cap with polenta, add sautéed button mushrooms and finish with 1 tablespoon of gorgonzola on top of the mushrooms and another tablespoon of gorgonzola over the first layer of polenta.
- Lower the oven rack to middle position and grill the polenta/mushrooms/gorgonzola until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Corn
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Polenta Recipe
Make 3-ingredient frozen yogurt at home
Never buy frozen yogurt again.
The invincible beer can chicken.
Know (and shop) the basics.
How to line a baking pan.
The chicest apron around.